Re: [cssom] serializing <color>

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:37:50 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> Doing what, though?  Are they reading specified colors?  Computed
> colors?  Used colors?  Doing what with them?

E.g. reading out color values and changing them to create a different kind
of contrast. Though this might be used for debugging as well, having a
consistent format would make things easier her. Color manipulation is also
used for animations, though in most scenarios you would not start from
some unknown start value.

> The only uses of the CSSOM for colors that I've seen around are in fact
> debuggers and editors...

I see. I don't really see how the CSSOM works well for editing except
simple things, and those things would not be hindered much by normalizing
<color> values. Editors can always provide an option to see the various
ways you can express that <color>. The same goes for debuggers I think.

Also, it might be worth noting that Gecko does not preserve e.g. #rrggbb
notation at the moment (have not checked hsl() and hsla()).

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/