Re: [css21] height/width computed value is wrong

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 21:19:13 +0100, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:
> On Thursday 2010-02-11 15:20 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> From work on getComputedStyle I figured out our current definition
>> for computed value for both 'height' and 'width' does not match
>> existing implementations (although I have not tested Internet
>> Explorer). Here is a simple testcase:
>>
>>   http://dump.testsuite.org/2010/width-computed-value.htm
>>
>> If the blue bar is less wide than the window the user agent agrees
>> with me that the definition is wrong. Namely it states that the
>> computed value is 'auto' if the property does not apply (e.g. when
>> display is set to inline). Nobody follows this however. If we remove
>>
>>   "; 'auto' if the property does not apply"
>>
>> from the computed value definitions we will match contemporary
>> implementations. (And getComputedStyle can be defined somewhat more
>> sanely.)
>
> Why are the "Computed Value" lines in the CSS 2.1 spec relevant
> here?  The getComputedStyle method corresponds largely to what CSS
> 2.0 called computed values (though didn't define precisely), but
> which CSS 2.1 calls used values.  So I would expect the spec for
> getComputedStyle to refer to CSS 2.1's definition of "used value"
> (though perhaps for 'display:none' elements or those inside
> 'display:none' elements, it should refer to computed values).
>
> (Likewise, for widths in percentages, the computed value is the
> percentage, but the used value is a length.)

It is relevant for the cases you mention. Inside display:none elements or
elements the property does not apply to, e.g. when the element has
display:inline. See the draft.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/