Re: collapsible property

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 19:28:37 -0600
To: Daniel Danilatos <danilatos@google.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org, news@terrainformatica.com, Julie Parent <jparent@chromium.org>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
On 2/10/2010 11:43 PM, Daniel Danilatos wrote:
> Inferring orthogonal behaviour from line height or similar properties
>  seems kinda hacky and potentially leading to all kinds of corner
> cases. I think it's clearer and simpler to have a property that
> defines exactly the desired behaviour (keep the block element open)
> and leave things like line height and min height to their independent
> meanings, without having to complicate them with extended
> interpretations

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue.

You seem to want an element--when it (A) is empty or (B) all of its
child elements are empty or (C) all it contains is whitespace--to remain
one line tall rather than "collapse" to a height of zero when it has no
content. (Like Andrew, I wouldn't expect (B) and (C) to ever occur with
a well-written script though.) If this is actually what you want, then
all you're trying to do is control the presentation of the element's
height; I don't understand how this is "orthogonal behavior" with regard
to the purposes of the |height| and |line-height| properties.

Perhaps you could provide some example code or a live example that
demonstrates the issue and how existing mechanisms cannot easily be used
to solve it? It's a little hard to solve a problem without actually
seeing it.