RE: Ruby proposal for XSL 2.0

Hi Tony,

I have begun reading the wiki, but took time to refresh myself on the
concepts by reading the related documents first.  Here are some initial
personal comments.

[1] Types of ruby, 1st table

Group ruby X single kanji:  I'd argue NO, since that would be mono-ruby

Group ruby X compound word:  YES (the distinction between this and
jukugo-ruby being that (a) you can't break a line in the compound noun, and
(b) the ruby text is not distributed on a character by character basis)

Jukugo-ruby X single kanji: NO (a single character isn't jukugo)

Jukugo-ruby X Breakable: YES (this is one of the distinguishing features of
jukugo vs group ruby)

[2] Source documents, CSS3 ruby module

There is a later version of this document, with at least one critical
difference.
http://www.w3.org/Style/Group/css3-src/css3-ruby/#ruby-line-breaking
authored by Paul Nelson, contains a section that describes line-breaking
behaviour.  I  linked to that page from a CSS WG page, but the status of
that document is not clear.

RI

PS: Since www-style is a public list, could we switch the cc from
member-i18n-core to public-i18n-core ?

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)