RE: [css3-text] alternate name for line-break: newspaper

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 04:00:31 -0500
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
CC: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
It's saying "line-break: loose", not "line: loose", so I'm not sure how many East Asians, the users of this property, would think the way you worried about.

"lax" is also fine with me, but I wonder if others would agree with it, as some didn't like "relaxed" either.

Probably what's missing here is the original root of the name of "line-break"; in East Asian, its direct translation is more like "prohibit line breaking rules". As you might know, line breaks can occur anywhere between two ideographic characters by default, but we have a set of rules where line breaks are prohibited. East Asians would just remember the line-break property is the property to control "prohibit line breaking rules", so "loose" makes a good sense to me.

Yet another proposal to solve your trouble: how about renaming the property name to "prohibit-line-break" or "prohibit-break"? I hope "loose" would make sense then, wouldn't it?

I'm a little worried that this may cause a little more work to browser vendors who have already implemented some of the values, but I think it's still better than not being able to reach to consensus.

Regards,
Koji