Re: [css3-text] alternate name for line-break: newspaper

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:32:09 -0800
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
CC: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Koji Ishii wrote:

> I saw some arguments not liking "loose", but from the discussion, I can't find any good candidates to replace it where all can agree upon. Is it strong enough to continue looking for more candidates?

The trouble with loose is this:

Linebreaking is related to justification, which affects inter-word
spacing. The purpose of what you are considering 'loose' linebreaking is
relaxation of hyphenation rules in order to *avoid* loose word spacing,
e.g. as occurs in narrow columns. So for anyone thinking about the text
block as a whole, terms like 'loose' may be confusing because this is a
term more commonly encountered in reference to spacing.

How about 'lax', as a good antonym for strict?

JH