From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Keiko Hiraide
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:00 AM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [CSS3 Text] text-underline-position

> Can you please share with us how you implement "make the position a little lower"
>in AH Formatter? Do you use the same position as "under", information
>from OpenType font, or any heuristic value?

AH Formatter implements the underline auto a little lower (about 0.1em) position based on the position of alphabetic baseline. It is not a position of "under".
Although underlinePosition information on OpenType is not being used now, it is being examined to use the information in the further version of Formatter.

Only the information on "underlinePosition" exists in OpenType and there is especially  no "underline position for Japanese" in OpenType.
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/post.htm

It is thought that in most cases, the default position is enough for the under line position for Japanese  language. (If the default is unfavorable and  you would like to put the under line under em-box, you only have to specify text-underline-position: under).

Thank you,

Keiko Hiraide
Antenna House, Inc.
Web: www.antennahouse.com