[css3-transitions][css3-fonts] should font weights be interpolated?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:21:08 +1300
To: www-style@w3.org
The CSS3 Transitions spec currently lists font-weight as being of type
“number”.  Does this mean that a transition should interpolate between
values?  For example with:

  <script>
    mySpan.style.fontWeight = 900;
  </script>

should the property get values 100, 200, …, 800, 900 over the course of
the 5s?  I think I remember someone or some spec saying that these
numbers are really keyword values, and not really to be treated as
numbers.  If so, then I think interpolation shouldn’t happen.

Slightly relatedly, the CSS3 Fonts spec says for font-weight “Computed
value: see description”, but there is no explicit description of whether
normal computes to 400, etc.  It just says that normal has the same
meaning as 400.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/