Re: [css3-text] alternate name for line-break: newspaper

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:19:49 -0800
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
CC: Brady Duga <duga@ebooktechnologies.com>, www-style@w3.org
Koji Ishii wrote:

> The original request from Japanese publishers was 4 levels, and we tentatively named them looser, loose, normal, and strict.

I suggest

	Strict
	Normal
	Relaxed
	Free

Looser and Loose are not good terms because they are not typical
antonyms to Strict, and in a typographic setting the term loose usually
applies to spatial relationships (e.g. loose letter spacing, loose line
spacing) rather than something like linebreak logic.

I don't think using names associated with particular media is a good
idea, especially not media that might become obsolete long before CSS
does. :)

JH