Re: [css3-page] Margin Boxes At-Syntax

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 21:32:02 +0100
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Christoph Päper:

 > Have the margin at-rules already been implmented, e.g. in Prince?

Yes.

 > I’ve recently made a brochure (with Latex) that had an margin-less
 > image across the whole page header, including the corners. If I
 > understand the Paged Media WD and ED correctly, I would have to
 > split the image in three if I wanted to implement the same layout
 > with CSS, because I actually would need ‘@top’ which is not
 > available.

You can, however, set the background in the page context. E.g.:

  @page {
     background: url(top-across-the-page.png);
  }

So, as long as you control the size of the background image, it should
be quite easy to limit its influence to the top part of the page.

 > The two-sided brochure also had the same content in the outer page
 > margin. There neither is ‘@outer’ nor can I group the selectors
 > ‘left-middle’ and ‘right-middle’, because the odd/even selection is
 > done for ‘@page’.

As Peter suggest, you should be able to do this with :left and :right.

Cheers,

-h&kon