Re: [css3-lists] Proposal for additional list-style-type value and related property

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Daniel Lawrence
<daniel.lawrence.1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I am new to this list so please forgive any protocol faux pas. I did examine
> the W3C site and the archive of this list for guidance on prosing new CSS
> features and historical context, to see if something like the following
> proposal had already be suggested; as well as attempted to determine whether
> there is another way to use CSS to achieve the same end result. As none of
> these investigation turned up much, I am hereby posting my proposal to this
> list.
>
> I would like to propose the addition of a value to list-style-type property
> and an additional supporting property.
>
> As an additional (non-repeating) list-style-type value I propose "values" to
> be supported by the further addition of the property "list-style-values".
[snip]

I'm editting the CSS3 Lists module right now, and your use-case is
addressed by my additions.

I'm adding an @counter-style rule, which allows you to specify the
type of counter, what glyphs to use, and a few other settings.  You
can then use that counter style in list-style-type.

This lets me remove almost all of the explicitly counter styles
currently in the document at <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-lists>, and
replace them with @counter-style entries in the UA style sheet.  If
you can imagine your counter style as falling into any of the major
categories currently in the draft, it'll be possible to define it in
@counter-style.