Re: [css3-background][css3-images] background-repeat: none and extend

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:40:36 -0800
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
>> Hm, I'm not sure I understand.  Do you mean, do the whole
>> repeat-at-offsets thing that tiling does, but do an extend and then
>> composite all the images together?
>
> Presactly. Could be used for some neat effects. The drawing would
> get costly, though.

Definitely.  Plus, it wouldn't do what you want unless it went
transparent at some point.  Accidentally doings this with a
fully-opaque gradient would just look like a single image.  Hell,
possible even worse would be a gradient where all the colors have the
same middling alpha.  You'd be compositing an infinite number of
images!