Re: ::first-word pseudo-element

From: Pierre Bertet <bonjour@pierrebertet.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 16:34:58 +0100
To: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Thank you all for your answers !

Karl,

> Which means you need the full dictionary of characters. I do not English hyphenation is really handled in browsers for the same reason (please, make me wrong here.).
>
> Note that ::first-letter somehow is also misleading for asian languages such as Japanese and Chinese. Maybe it should have been ::first-char, but I guess it is too late. "::first-letter" was introduced I guess to mimic this old tradition of lettrines (Initial [1]). "Le charme suranné de l'écriture du monde physique".
>
> [1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial

Thanks, it’s clearer now.

> "::first-chars-before-space" could work, but what would be the use case, which is the thing missing in this discussion, I think.

I have to admit that I will not have a big usage of this feature, I
was more interested in the technical issue.
That being said, I consider the “::first-chars-before-space” (or
rather “::first-chars-group”) as a first step. “::nth-chars-group()”
and “::nth-letter()” would be a lot more useful, with the rules
already used by “:nth-child()”.

Obviously, a “::regex()” would be great too, but I guess it will cause
a lot of performance issues (and probably already discussed).

Regards,
--
Pierre Bertet
pierrebertet.net