Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 14:51:20 -0500
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> The point you seem to be missing is that we are not trying to define inches and centimeters. We are defining the CSS units of 'in' and 'cm'. In some contexts, these have a direct relationship to inches and centimeters, and in others they do not. On projector screens, for instance, 'in' is just about as divorced in meaning from a physical "inch" as it is from the preposition "in".

As I have pointed out before, the usual understanding of mm and in for
projector screens remains physical. An imaginary slide, with imaginary
real dimensions and where mm and in have their usual real meanings, is
projected onto a physical surface at an unknown distance. The units
still mean the same thing, and if they do not mean the same thing then
it'd be impossible to predict what the projection will look like.

--
cheers,
-ambrose

does anyone know how to fix Snow Leopard? it broke input method
switching and is causing many typing mistakes and is very annoying