Re: [css3-speech] Drop mark properties

From: Daniel Weck <daniel.weck@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 05:02:52 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
Fantasai wrote:
-------
Also, the 'mark' properties seem to be redundant with using @media
speech with :before/:after. Claudio, do you remember why it was added?

h1 {mark-before: "section"}
p {mark-before: attr(id) }

vs

@media speech {
h1:before { content: "section"; }
p:before { content: attr(id); }
}
-------

If I understand correctly, the purpose of SSML's "mark" element [1] is
two-fold:

(1) provide a destination 'anchor' in the text flow, for the speech
synthesizer / processor to address (similar to <a name="link_target"/>
in XHTML).

(2) raise an event when a named "mark" is encountered (trigger
asynchronous notification when reaching a pre-authored point in the
text/audio flow).

Now, to me this functionality isn't of stylistic nature. I think this
feature allows authors to define actual *data* (i.e. it does not
provide a mean to encode presentational instructions for existing
data). I am therefore in favor to remove the "mark" property from the
CSS3-Speech Working Draft.

Regards, Daniel

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/speech-synthesis/#edef_mark