From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 9:34 PM
To: Rik Cabanier
Cc: Sylvain Galineau; Simon Fraser; Leif Arne Storset; Brad Kemper; www-style list
Subject: Re: background-transform (Was: Re: [css3-images] Repeating oblique gradients)

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com> wrote:
> So, what you're proposing is something like:
> @image{
>        name: <string>;
>        src: <url>;
>        opacity: <float>;
>        transform/transform-origin/width/height/etc
> }
>
> Background-image or border-image could then refer to the name specified in the @image instead of to a URL.

Yes, something like that.

If it's a property that's useful outside of backgrounds, it should be generally applicable through @image or a similar mechanism.

>> If the image definition says 'use the image at this URL, make it 100x100 then rotate 15 degrees' and the image bounding box adjusts for the transform, wouldn't it tile as you expect ?
> I agree that it doesn't make much sense to do square tiling of the rotated image.

That's not necessarily true.  If I have a logo, for example, I may want to rotate it slightly for visual effect, but still tile it like a rectangular image.

> There was a question about the use-case for having a transform on a background image.
> Adobe Illustrator and Flash Pro both support transforms on tiling images. Flash can only do it on images and gradients while PDF and postscript can do it on any type of content.
> In the PDF world this feature is used very often but I'm unsure how common it is in Flash. This feature is also present in XAML and the UI frameworks of Windows and Mac.

Ah, cool.  Do you have any examples you can share?  That would help a ton.