Re: background-transform (Was: Re: [css3-images] Repeating oblique gradients)

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> If we decide that background-transform is valuable, then I think we'll have a very hard
> time rejecting background-opacity (which I believe we've done in the past).

Given that adding opacity to an image is something pretty useful in
general (I can definitely see the use in border-image, for example), I
don't think that background-opacity has much promise.  That's
definitely something that should be generalized if we accept it.

> However, it's still not obvious to me that transforms to image applied via either
> @image rules or a functional syntax would affect the orientation of the
> background tiling grid, whereas background-transform would, I think.

If we use Sylvain's idea of a more general @image rule that could take
these properties, then transform-aware tiling can be applied there.
It would then be an image with definite dimensions but infinite paint,
and could be used with background-repeat:no-repeat just fine (or
background-repeat:extend, if we keep the current behavior where
no-repeat chops any paint outside the image box).  That seems to solve
the tiling-grid problem fairly elegantly, letting us keep any magic
behavior out of the background-repeat property.