Re: Defining safe areas for media devices and set top boxes

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:24:32 -0600
Cc: Joćo Eiras <joao-c-eiras@telecom.pt>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Chris, we're are at cross purposes.

Robert and I suggested that we define that the *background fill* be defined to fill the 'unsafe' area, but that the rest of CSS and so on (foreground content) be defined to be working only in the safe area.  So you would *not* get a black border under these circumstances.

Joćo seems to be saying that that is not enough, he wants general content in the unsafe area, and I wanted to confirm that, and ask 'what and why?'.

On Dec 7, 2010, at 9:17 , Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 4:05:24 PM, David wrote:
>
> DS> On Dec 7, 2010, at 5:45 , Joćo Eiras wrote:
>>> Not enough at all. Content (significant or not) can very well reach the edges of screen, as in any other user agent.
>

> DS> So, to be clear, you want to be able to paint anything, not just
> DS> background, in the unsafe area?  Why, if it's unsafe?
>
> Because its visible and you don't want it to be black.
>
> Unsafe means 'not guaranteed to have legible text'. It does not mean 'guaranteed to have illegible text' or 'invisible'.

David Singer