RE: background-transform (Was: Re: [css3-images] Repeating oblique gradients)

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 20:32:03 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
CC: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@adobe.com>, Leif Arne Storset <lstorset@opera.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
> From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Tab Atkins Jr.
> Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 10:02 AM

> I kinda like background-transform too.

I like the capability, I'm not sure I like having to add another set
of properties just for backgrounds vs. allowing the definition of a
named image with all relevant transforms and other properties,
definition that could then be referenced anywhere.

I can do this to some extent in SVG using svgView e.g. I can
do http://site.com/image.svg#svgView(transform(rotate(10deg))
and use that anywhere an image URL is accepted but I'd be more
comfortable binding the image and the rotation together in
CSS and use the result anywhere an image() value is accepted.