Re: [css3-text] Proposal to add "text-decoration-skip: decoration-boundary"

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 01:05:14 -0500
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: Ethan Chen <chief@ethantw.net>, Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>, "KangHao Lu (Kenny)" <kennyluck@w3.org>, WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>, CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
Koji Ishii scripsit:

> I agree that this is a styling issue and should be solved in CSS,
> not in HTML.
>
> This is an interesting issue to me. If I understand this correctly,
> scripts that use spaces as word delimiters can distinguish the two:
>   <u>word word</u>

That's correct, but it is an HTML solution (it depends on the position
of the space in the HTML), contrary to what you said.  If a space can be
added to the HTML to solve the problem in scripts that use space, than a
thin space or hair space can be added to the HTML in scripts that do not.

--
They do not preach                              John Cowan
  that their God will rouse them                cowan@ccil.org