Re: Defining safe areas for media devices and set top boxes

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:58:16 +0100
To: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
CC: João Eiras <joao-c-eiras@telecom.pt>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday, December 3, 2010, 9:55:43 AM, Robert wrote:

ROC> Either I'm particularly slow tonight or your message is unclear.
ROC> Why can't you simply set the browser viewport to the "safe area" of the TV screen?

The safe area on TV is not exactly like a browser viewport, and not exactly like page margins.

In some ways its more like the bleed area on printed material. There can be stuff outside the safe area (solid colours, images, textures) and depending on how its cropped for final display some or all of that area may be visible.

The 'action safe area' is outside the 'title safe area' and can have images and video, and will be visible, but must not contain text.

See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_area

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG