Re: [css3-images] Repeating oblique gradients

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 17:42:17 -0800
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2010, at 5:27 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I was talking about the repeating-*-gradient() functions, which Moz
>> has implemented behind a prefix right now.
>
> Ah, I stand corrected.
>
> So, having twice as many gradient functions is preferable to just making background-repeat work better then?

Yes.

Having separate functions makes it easier to intuit the differences in
transition-ability (the number of color-stops doesn't matter for
repeating gradients, as they effectively have infinite of them, and
thus you can always match up color-stops between any two repeating
gradients).

It also avoids having magic behavior tied to background-repeat, where
setting 'repeat' on a linear gradient tiles and then rotates the whole
layer, while setting it on radial gradients just tiles.
background-repeat stays consistent and orthogonal in its behavior.

Finally, it ensures feature parity between the two types of gradients
- you can tile *or* repeat both gradients.

(And, of course, this is all dependent on me actually uncommenting the
section on repeating gradients.)