Re: [css3-linebox] Proposal to add "auto" value for the line-stacking-ruby property

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:21:14 -0600
Cc: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
On Nov 30, 2010, at 6:27 PM, Koji Ishii wrote:

> You're right that I was missing the case of the first line in paginated content. It's actually a good point. Since author will not know which part of the document is the first line of pages, I agree that it should be part of the behavior of "auto".

That could be difficult to implement.  WebKit's heuristic right now is purely based off examination of lines within a single block.  It can't detect overlap across nested blocks.  Detecting that you overlap other lines or that you can fit in the padding area of a single block is easy, but being willing to spill into the margin area is way more complicated (the block might be clipped, margins collapse and may be nested, a block might have a border and then you probably need to expand, etc.).

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)