Re: [CSSOM] Interaction of getBoundingClientRect/getClientRects with transforms

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:29:55 -0700
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Cc: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2010, at 8:52 am, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> It seems unexpected to me. I expect it to act more like position:relative. Can you explain why it makes more sense, and what use case would benefit by doing the child inlines separately?
>
> Position: relative only lets you offset the boxes horizontally or vertically, so I don't think it informs on this issue. What do you expect to happen when a split <span> has a rotation transform?

Indeed; translate()s should act indistinguishably from relpos whether
you use multiple boxes or one.  It's just the other transformations
that show the difference.

I think that transforming each box individually is the right thing to
do here, particularly given Boris' example of mixed-direction text.
An author that dislikes the effect can transform a wrapper element
instead.