Re: [CSSOM] Interaction of getBoundingClientRect/getClientRects with transforms

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:30:48 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 8/31/10 10:13 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> Bounding box is what we do for SVG so we should do that here too. Ideally
>> the definition of "border box" in CSS reflects this behavior or CSS gets a
>> different kind of "border box" that reflects this behavior and CSSOM View is
>> updated to use that.
>
> Given that transforms don't affect the geometry

Well...  do they not?  If not, why should they affect getClientRects?

> (I'm curious about how a transformed element works when used in a
> background with the -moz-element() function or the -webkit-canvas()
> function, particularly with background-repeat:repeat.)

-moz-element currently uses the untransformed size as the size of the
background image for -moz-element, and draws the transformed element
into that box, clipping at the edges.  Screenshot of a 500px by 500px
div using the 45-degree-rotated div from my other example as a repeating
-moz-element background.

Why would there be an issue with -webkit-canvas?  -webkit-canvas
presumably just uses the canvas backing store as the background image;
since the canvas it uses isn't even shown on the page there are no
transforms involved.

-Boris

-moz-element.png
(image/png attachment: -moz-element.png)