Re: [cssom] CSS Value API

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:26:58 +0200, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> Now manipulating should be easy. E.g. style.values.color.keyword = "red"
>> sets 'color' to red.
>
> What should happen if I do:
>
>    style.values.color.keyword = "rgb(255, 0, 0)";
>
> ?

The idea is that it fails because it is not a keyword valid for the
'color' property. (Potentially failing early for not being a keyword at
all.)

>> So I think the way I want this to move forward is by answering specific
>> questions related to either experimental or theoretical implementations
>> rather than trying to set out a grand plan for how this ought to work
>> from the start. Does that seem reasonable or should I just make
>> something up anyway?
>
> Do you have a list of specific potential issues you'd like
> implementation feedback on, or are you basically looking for such a list?

The latter, mostly. I suspect shorthands to be either ugly or problematic
though.

> My general take is that this would be really nice to have for some
> properties (top/left and transforms perhaps; maybe colors) and a not
> that useful for other properties.  It would also take some time to do
> this right.  In general, I'm interested in this happening for the
> properties where it's useful, don't care much about the ones where it
> doesn't, and don't expect to have time to implement it in the next month
> or so.  After that, we'll see...
>
> Perhaps an implementation for some subset of properties is a way to
> start here?

Yeah, totally. We actually do not have to implement this for all
properties if we do not want to. Scope can increase gradually over time
(or not at all) with the current design. Starting out small sounds like a
good idea to me. Author feedback will give us an idea what to do next.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/