RE: [css3-multicol] Multi-column layout with height set

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:08:41 +0200
To: Ishii Koji <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Also sprach Ishii Koji:

 > On multi-column layout document, could I ask what would happen if:
 >
 > * width:auto
 > * height:<a fixed value>
 > * column-count:auto
 > * column-width:<a fixed value>
 >
 > Given the height has a value, a logical thinking gave me a thought
 > that it would extend the number of columns as much as the content
 > goes.

This is correct; the number of columns will increase.

 > Since column-width=fixed and column-count=auto, the line 32 to 33 are used, right?

Yes.

 > (32) N := floor((available-width + column-gap) / (column-width + column-gap));
 > (33) W := ((available-width + column-gap) / N) - column-gap;
 >
 > What I was hoping to work is to have another "if" for when height
 > is fixed or has max-height set.

One assumption made in the pseudo-algorithm is "that the block
direction is unconstrained". So, your case isn't directly described.
However, it should still be possible to use the algorithm to find N
and W, but N will only represent the number of columns inside the
multicol box -- not the total.

 > Actually, I'm guessing Example XXII is similar to what I would
 > want. The more content, the number of columns is increased. If
 > Example XXII has one more line, another column is added.

Correct.

 > To do that, I think, N won't be finalized until the parser reaches to the end of the content

Right.

 > just like the height of box won't be finalized until its content ends, right?

Unless constrained, yes.

-h&kon