Re: [CSS21] Does the root element establish a root block formatting context?

Alan Gresley wrote:

> Gecko it seems has a problem when something is not present for the html
> element or an anonymous html element. In the linked series of test cases
> below, this is not giving html a background-color. Also this has
> something to do with it being HTML5. XML (traditional at least) does not
> show this problem.
>

> <http://css-class.com/test/temp/root-bfc-icb1.htm>

Correction. The IMG changes position in all implementations (tested in
Gecko, WebKit, Opera and IE8) if a background-color is declared for  HTML.

1. With no HTML background-color - The IMG bottom edge sits up against
the bottom-padding-edge of HTML.

2. With no HTML background-color - The IMG bottom edge sits up against
the bottom-padding-edge of the block-level in normal flow.

Since the spec doesn't say anything of the positioning of
background-image if the background-color is present on the HTML (root
element) or not, then all implementations are doing something which I
do not understand.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/