RE: [css3-multicol] column balancing and fixed height (RE: Question on Flexbox balance implementation)

From: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:07:54 +0000
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, Chris Jones <cjon@microsoft.com>
This was discussed at FTF and resolved as follows:

1)      Column balancing does apply in multicol boxes with specified height (see http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Tracker/issues/129).

2)      Overflow from such boxes behaves the same way with or without balancing – columns are added in direction of line flow (balancing is not applicable with overflow)

3)      For in overflow, the ‘column-span’ property has no effect.

Noted special case:
If an element with “column-span:all” does not fit into multicol box, it is pushed to overflow and its ‘column-span’ property no longer has effect. There is a possibility that without “column-span:all” it would have fit within the last column of the multicol box, but that possibility is not evaluated. The element remains in overflow uncioniditionally.

Hakon – could you please verify that my summary matches what we have agreed on?

Thanks
Alex