Re: [css3-fonts] Behdad's Feedback on CSS Fonts Module Level 3 Editor's Draft 5 April 2010

From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:59:10 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: Jonathan Kew <jonathan@jfkew.plus.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
On 08/19/10 18:52, Chris Lilley wrote:

> I understand the point you are making about how bidi works. Believe me too.

No, I wasn't making a point about how bidi works.  Did you read the example?

> (description of bidi, omitted)
>
> But you fail to understand the point I was making.

I have the same feeling towards you :).

The part I think you are missing in my argument is that I delicately built my
example such that the Arabic font is mirrored, but not the Latin.  Think about it.

> Here is an experiment. Take a printed item, containing Latin text. Hold it to a mirror. look in the mirror. You see Latin text mirrored, with all the glyphs back to front, and progressing right to left.
>
> Is this RTL text?

Yes.  Because you read it right to left if you read it in the mirror.

behdad