Re: [css3-multicol] test suite

On 08/18/2010 04:48 AM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Fantasai wrote:
>
>   >  I think that column rules should be the height of the column box.
>
> That sounds right.
>
> Now we only need to find the height of the column box -- the currenct
> spec isn't entirely clear on this, I'm afraid.
>
>   >  I also think that content should be able to overflow the column
>   >  box, e.g. if we have a height-constrained column, then content
>   >  that is too tall should overflow the column box (and thus be taller
>   >  than the column rule).
>
> So, you're saying that the column box will never stick outside the
> content box of the multicol element? This is what the current spec
> dictates, but one that Robert disagrees with, I believe.

Not necessarily. You could define, for example, that balancing columns
causes the column boxes to match the balanced height of the contents,
whether that height is more or less than the height of the multicol box.

> If we chose this option, I also think we should specify that wide rules
> will be clipped by the content box, and that rules entirely outside
> the content box should not be drawn.

Rules entirely outside the content box should be clipped iff overflow
so dictates. Otherwise you could have a height-constrained element with
overflowing columns marching off to the right, but the rules between
them mysteriously disappear.

~fantasai