Re: [css3-fonts] Behdad's Feedback on CSS Fonts Module Level 3 Editor's Draft 5 April 2010

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 07:49:26 -0700 (PDT)
To: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>, www-style@w3.org, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Thomas Phinney wrote:

> Synthesized stuff (or transformations) are not the same as designed
> condensed or extended fonts. I would ask two things:
>
> - that you do not *encourage* agents to synthesize font-stretch
> ("allow" is okay I guess, though you should understand the results
> will always be crap)
>
> - that for any agent that does do synthetic stretch, it is OFF by
> default and turned on by some additional flag or option.

I agree, I think any stretchy/squishy text effects should be in done via
properties separate from the font selection process, properties clearly
defined with testable behavior.  Selecting a font should be different
from applying an effect.

With CSS Transforms authors can already achieve these effects in some
situations although maybe not in the most flexible way.

John Daggett