Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:02:54 -0700
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 08:25:30AM -0400, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 8/13/10 3:48 AM, Peter Moulder wrote:
>> >If a user agent doesn't consider the float to be part of the first line,
>> >then it's probably because of the following from section 5.12.1:
>> >
>> >   # The "first formatted line" of an element may occur inside a block-level
>> >   # descendant in the same flow (i.e., a block-level descendant that is not
>> >   # positioned and not a float)
>> >
>> >Presumably people are reading that as saying that the first formatted line of
>> >an element can't occur inside a descendent that is a float;
>> >which does seem like a reasonable guess as to the intent of that text.
>> Peter, please reread what I wrote in the post that Tab was
>> responding to, and which you conveniently quoted.  No one is
>> claiming that the first formatted line is inside the float.  But the
>> float inherits color from a span and that span is most certainly
>> inside the first formatted line of the block.
> I agree that your reading is a reasonable one, and it's the behaviour that I
> would expect, but I can't find any normative text that actually declares
> the "red" interpretation to be non-conforming.  Maybe the user agent is deliberately
> wrapping just "the first formatted line", and taking this to exclude the float,
> which does not inherit from a formatted line.

The relevant part of the spec is in 5.12.1:

# A UA should act as if the fictional start tags of the
# first-line pseudo-elements were nested just inside the
# innermost enclosing block-level element.

There is no way to interpret this such that the float is not a
descendant of the <::first-line> pseudo.  It definitely wraps the
entire outer <span>, and thus necessarily wraps the float as well.

(Except that it says "should" for some reason.  That seems definitely
unnecessary.  Let's MUSTify that as an editorial fix.)