Re: [css3-fonts] Behdad's Feedback on CSS Fonts Module Level 3 Editor's Draft 5 April 2010

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 20:13:40 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad@behdad.org>, <www-style@w3.org>
On Friday, August 13, 2010, 4:39:42 AM, Tab wrote:

TAJ> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 7:06 PM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>> 3.3 Font width: the font-stretch property

>>> Add a hint that agents may synthesize stretch?

>> I don't think user agents should synthesize stretch.  With CSS
>> transforms, authors can stretch or squish text if like this if they
>> like but I don't think it should be something done automagically by
>> user agents.

TAJ> Using transforms for stretching/shrinking fonts doesn't make sense.
TAJ> That would stretch/shrink the entire element, not just the text.

In retrospect, 'stretch' was a really bad choice of name. mea culpa.

The original intent was to have a descriptor to distinguish Helvetica, Helvetica Condensed, Helvetica Narrow while keeping them all in the 'Helvetica' font family; and a property that allows these different 'width-variants' to be selected.

Geometric squishing or stretching was never the intention here.

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG