Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:25:30 -0400
To: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 8/13/10 3:48 AM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> If a user agent doesn't consider the float to be part of the first line,
> then it's probably because of the following from section 5.12.1:
>
>    # The "first formatted line" of an element may occur inside a block-level
>    # descendant in the same flow (i.e., a block-level descendant that is not
>    # positioned and not a float)
>
> Presumably people are reading that as saying that the first formatted line of
> an element can't occur inside a descendent that is a float;
> which does seem like a reasonable guess as to the intent of that text.

Peter, please reread what I wrote in the post that Tab was responding
to, and which you conveniently quoted.  No one is claiming that the
first formatted line is inside the float.  But the float inherits color
from a span and that span is most certainly inside the first formatted
line of the block.

-Boris