Re: [cssom-view] padding edge / border edge for offsetTop/offsetLeft?

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 16:56:51 +0200
To: "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "Garrett Smith" <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Cc: "Mike Wilson" <mikewse@hotmail.com>, Www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I made a change based on this
(and other) email(s).

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:52:29 +0200, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2) the way that offset* are standardized in CSSOM WRT the BODY element
> is unintuitive, makes body special in a bad way, and contradicts other
> browsers except Opera when:
> <!doctype html>
> id=a style="position: relative"></div></body>
>
> Result: 0 in all browsers, except in Opera.
> Result in Opera: 8.
>
> Opera follows CSSOM Views algorithm, measuring from - a - to viewport
> edge.

The specification now requires 0 as well. I removed the special casing of
offsetParent being "the HTML body element" for the offsetLeft and
offsetTop attributes:

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#offset-attributes

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you guys. I wanted to be
able to look at the issue freshly, which I have now finally done.
Hopefully you will continue to review the draft.

(I expect Opera to match the new algorithm in due course.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/