Re: CSS Viewport proposal

From: Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:17:17 +0200
To: "Kenneth Rohde Christiansen" <kenneth.christiansen@gmail.com>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:01:13 +0200, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen
<kenneth.christiansen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding:
>
> ‘device-width’ The width of the screen in CSS pixels at scale factor 1.0.
>
> For the iPhone, Android etc, this is the width of the screen at PORTRAIT
> mode.

What if the device's most common mode of operation is in landscape mode?

This might be confusing for page authors. My intentions were that the
device-width should change when changing between landscape and portrait,
but there are at least two issues with that:

1. If all current implementations don't, implementations will be less
interoperable, at least in short term.

2. Changing the values of device-width/device-height when rotating the
device will require a reflow when those values are used. That is a
performance and a user experience issue.

--
Rune Lillesveen
Senior Core Developer / Architect