Font Metrics

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 17:48:34 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
Is there a currently accepted API for querying font metrics from CSS?

With web fonts support available in most browsers; and Canvas also
we're now able to do quite a few interesting things with text.

One issue I'm coming across, however, has to do with measuring the
descent of a font,
so that I may properly use the textBaseline attribute of the Canvas 2D

Canvas 2D TextMetrics are very minimal, for good reason.

I can adequately process the height and width of text I'm displaying,
but I can't align two different font sizes on the same baseline without
hand-coding font metrics [mainly, descent].

It seems to me that an API for selecting such information may, most
via CSS, and DOM methods like getComputedStyle.

I've been suggesting such information be added into Canvas 2D Context
but having thought about it more, I think CSS is a more appropriate avenue.