Re: [CSS21] Distinguishing block boxes, block containers, and block-level elements

On 07/29/2010 04:16 AM, Peter Moulder wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:16:54AM -0700, fantasai wrote:
>
>>    | An<dfn>inline box</dfn>  is one that is both inline-level and whose
>>    | children (if any) would participate in its containing inline formatting
>>    | context. For non-replaced elements, a 'display' value of 'inline' and
>>    | sometimes 'run-in' (when it is not creanting a block box) generates an
>>    | inline box.
>
> If this last sentence is intended to be normative (information not already
> given elsewhere) then I suggest

Ok, I've changed the text.

> For the reasons given earlier (sometimes vs always), it's not clear whether
> anonymous inline boxes are inline-level boxes or not, though my impression from
> the existing text is that they aren't.  [I see that Anton Prowse guesses that
> they're nevertheless intended to be.]  If they aren't inline-level boxes,
> then the text here is quite clear that they aren't inline boxes.  Whereas I
> believe we want them to be at least inline boxes.

Anonymous inline boxes are inline boxes, that much I think should be clear.
And inline boxes are defined to be inline-level.

>>    | Inline-level boxes that are not inline boxes [...]
>>    | are called<dfn>atomic inline boxes</dfn>
>>        (we can pick a different term, this is just what I came up with)
>
> It would be rather unfortunate if "atomic inline boxes" weren't in fact
> inline boxes.  So perhaps "atomic inline-level boxes".

Good point. Fixed.

>> Section 9.2.4 The 'display' property
>>
>>    # inline-block
>>    #   This value causes an element to generate a block box, which itself
>>    #   is flowed as a single inline[-level] box, similar to a replaced element.
>>    #   [...]
>>
>>    s/generate a block/generate an inline-level block container, i.e. a block/
>
> That change seems not what you intended: to me it reads as saying that it generates
> a block box, and that an inline-level block container is a block box.

In that case I will remove the rest of the sentence. It is mostly repeated
below anyway.

~fantasai