Re: Question about inline layout and margins

On 8/9/10 7:35 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> Yes, there's a line break opportunity after the first span, but since the
> second span's margin area width is negative, I don't think I'd want that
> opportunity to be taken; the second span (and indeed the inline-block)
> still fits without widening the line box further.

I'm not convinced that that this is a good criterion for situations like
this, where the line box has already been forced to be wider than it
should be...

> As for use cases, I guess if someone's gone to the trouble of trying to get the second span
> to completely overlap the first, it's because that overlap is important
> to them, and should be preserved even when the first span overflows its
> containing block.

I can't tell whether your indexing is off here, or your numbers, but as
stated the sentence above makes no sense.

> Either way, this relationship between overflow and fitting needs to be
> specified (and be implementable)

Amen.

-Boris