Re: [css2.1] Issue 158 and Issue 178 Resolution

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:40:47 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> That said, I'm not sure that we're interpreting the spec correctly.
> I think we're both presuming that, where bullet point (1) below this
> text says "the border edge" it means "the hypothetical position of
> the border edge".  But I'm actually starting to think that
> assumption is wrong.

All right, I've been considering this.  I don't see anything else that
it could possibly mean, though.  Take this test-case:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<title>Test</title>
body { margin: 10px 0 0 0;}
2px solid orange;"></div>

Rendering between Firefox and Chrome differ, but I don't see how, in
either case, the "border edge" mentioned in that line is anything
other than the hypothetical border edge of the preceding paragraph.

Any other definition of "border edge" I can think of would yield
observably different behavior.

Is there some particular definition of "border edge" you fear might be
used here?