Re: [CSS21] Trivial editorial issues with 9.5 (Floats)

On Thursday 2010-08-05 09:24 -0700, fantasai wrote:
> On 10/05/2009 09:34 AM, Anton Prowse wrote:
> >Some trivial editorial issues with 9.5 (Floats):[1]

> >Issue 2:
> >
> ># However, line boxes created next to the float are shortened to make
> ># room for the margin box of the float. If a shortened line box is too
> ># small to contain any further content, then it is shifted downward
> ># until either it fits or there are no more floats present.
> >
> >Delete "further"
> >(No prior content is referred to.)
>
> Prior content would be content before the float.

I think in this case deleting "further" is an improvement.  This
isn't really about content before/after the float.

(You might be confusing this with the rule that one can derive from
the interaction of rules 6 and 8 in the float placement rules in
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#float-rules which says that
if the line box shortening caused by placing the float next to the
line that it would be on if it were instead an empty inline (i.e.,
the line that its "placeholder" is on) would cause the line to break
at a point prior to that placeholder, then the float gets pushed to
below that line box according to rule (8) because the position next
to the line box is no longer "possible" according to rule (6).  But
that isn't about whether content is before or after the float; it's
about whether content is before or after the first breaking
opportunity following the float.)

> >Issue 3:
> >
> ># Any content in the current line before a floated box is reflowed in
> ># the first available line on the other side of the float.
> >
> >When is the first available line anything other than the current line?
> >If never, then s/first available/same/
>
> If the line is forced to break, then some of the content will not be
> placed in the current line.

No, that can't happen if the content isn't before the float.

(This sentence also is rather unclear.  It took me about two minutes
of reading the context, particularly the sentences following, to
understand that it meant that if you have a left float when some
content is already on the line, it pushes that content to the right.
Describing that as "the other side of the float" seems quite
confusing to me.)

-David