Re: [CSS21][CSS3 Text] Re: Treating carriage return as white space in layout

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:06:51 +0300
Cc: "www-style@w3.org List" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On Aug 3, 2010, at 16:51, Henri Sivonen wrote:

>>> ...but this part steps outside the jurisdiction of CSS (or is at least a weird
>>> use of 'must' to reinforce whatever 'its own format rules' say)...
>> I think it's reasonable for CSS to say whether CSS white space collapsing
>> takes effect before or after non-CSS processing.
> Fair enough.

I take that back. Since it would be non-sensical to for CSS white space collapsing to take effect before non-CSS processing, it doesn't make sense to use "must". It would be fair to non-normatively note that the document parser for HTML and XML has done some line break normalization at this point but there may still by carriage returns in the document tree.

Henri Sivonen