Re: [CSS21][CSS3 Text] Re: Treating carriage return as white space in layout

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:06:51 +0300
Cc: "www-style@w3.org List" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On Aug 3, 2010, at 16:51, Henri Sivonen wrote:

>>> ...but this part steps outside the jurisdiction of CSS (or is at least a weird
>>> use of 'must' to reinforce whatever 'its own format rules' say)...
>>
>> I think it's reasonable for CSS to say whether CSS white space collapsing
>> takes effect before or after non-CSS processing.
>
> Fair enough.

I take that back. Since it would be non-sensical to for CSS white space collapsing to take effect before non-CSS processing, it doesn't make sense to use "must". It would be fair to non-normatively note that the document parser for HTML and XML has done some line break normalization at this point but there may still by carriage returns in the document tree.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi