Re: Border-Images and 'round': CSS Backgrounds and Borders Module Level 3

On Sep 29, 2009, at 7:44 PM, fantasai wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> Does anyone remember why it is reduce-only? If it is a matter of
>> the tile losing resolution as it grows, I think that is more
>> acceptable for the smaller adjustments that may be needed that
>> having much larger adjustments required.
>
> It's reduce-only to avoid losing resolution, yes. Probably that
> restriction
> should be lifted for vector images at least.

At least. At worst, the raster image will be no worse that images with
the "stretch" keyword. If authors are concerned, they can build more
resolution into their source images, or have them scaled down in
'border-image-width'.

Or, alternately, we could favor reductions by having any space that
was less than say 25% of a tile size result in widening, and
everything else resulting in width reduction.