Re: [CSS21] Ambiguity in section 9.2.1.1 (anonymous block boxes)

On 9/28/09 4:04 PM, fantasai wrote:
>> What is this section _trying_ to say?
>
> What it's trying to say, afaict, is that the entire contents of the span
> is affected, as one unit, by the relative positioning despite the somewhat
> quirky parenting.

OK.  Can we actually say this in an unambiguous way, please?

> (I assume
> aaa<br><span style="position: relative; left: 100px"><span style="float:
> right">bbb</span>aaa</span>
> would render as
> |aaa
> |<--100px-->bbbccc
> If it does, then I think the IE/Gecko rendering is the only one that
> makes sense.)

The rendering of the markup you give is:

aaa
bbb         ccc
<--100px--->

in Gecko, Opera, Webkit.  It's the rendering you assume in IE8, which
explains the behavior of IE8 on my testcase....

I think IE8 is probably wrong here, since other means of offsetting the
inline box (e.g. a left margin) do not offset the float in IE8.  But the
definition of relative positioning is vague enough that maybe the IE8
behavior is reasonable, or even intended by the spec.  Something else
that needs clarifying, probably.  Can we get it added to the issue tracker?

> This is definitely wrong per that section of the spec.

My point is that that section of the spec is unclear enough that nothing
can "definitely" be said based on it.  Clarifying this text needs to be
added to the issue tracker, in my opinion.

-Boris