Re: Supporting Scoped Selectors in Selectors API 2

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:24:48 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:50:35 +0200, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Or, you could not allow any shortcuts here and require :reference (or
> :scope, as Tab recommends, and I second) to be inserted explicitly in
> such cases. I would imagine they're less common than the descendant case.

I agree with this. Adding magic to the Selectors grammar is bad and makes
things more complicated than needed.

I'm also not convinced this "problem" needs a special solution. If
JavaScript libraries want to continue to support their own magic syntax
they can add a very simple pre-processing step themselves. No need to
complicate everything because of that.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/