Re: Supporting Scoped Selectors in Selectors API 2

Brad Kemper wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2009, at 9:35 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
>
>> elm.querySelector(": div div, : div p");
>> elm.querySelector(": > em, :> strong, :+code");
>>
>> Such construction definitely will not conflict with any future selectors.
>
> What makes you so sure? It seems to imply a pseudo-class, but not any
> particular pseudo-class, and maybe in the future there will be a more
> appropriate one to use with a naked colon at the beginning. Is there any
> problem (other than length), with being more specific, such as:
>
>  elm.querySelector(":reference > em, :> strong, :reference +code");
>
>> More strong (grammatically) alternative is "::" - double colons.
>
> Also more confusing, as double colons are associated with
> pseudo-elements, not pseudo-classes.

':' is used already in selectors that is why any its variation
is significantly less probable to create problems in future as we can
inspect all cases now.

And yet: we are using Element.select() function couple of years and
so far the only cases I've seen are like this:

":scope > something"

I am pretty sure that it is pretty safe to reduce this construction to
simply this:

"> something"

This will not require anything new at all.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com