Re: [css3-box] a width that is a little less than 'fit-content'

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 22:32:38 -0700
Cc: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>

On Sep 15, 2009, at 7:49 PM, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

>> 4) fit and then shrink more:
>>    <------------------------->
>>    A paragraph of text that
>>    doesn't fit on one line.
>>    <---------------------->
>> I don't know exactly what this is supposed to do in all cases, but
>> the effect should be more or less as if the box was laid out as for
>> 'fit-content' and then shrunk more without increasing the height.
>> Bert
>
> I suspect this is about flex units [1] again.
>
> 1) width: min-content;
> 2) width: max-content;
> 3) width: 1*; min-width: min-content; max-width: max-content;
> 4) width: 0.7*; min-width: min-content; max-width: max-content;
>
> So your 'more' in 'fit and then shrink more' is 0.7 or 0.8 or
> whatever.

I don't think that would work consistently though, would it?

The words of the paragraph could be half the width of the available
space, and thus would not fit two on the same line with a space
between them. If that was the case, then 0.7* would not shrink to fit,
would it? And if you did 0.5* instead, then you would have smaller
words wrapping to the next line when they didn't need to.