Re: [css3-box] a width that is a little less than 'fit-content'

On Tuesday 2009-09-15 18:42 +0200, Bert Bos wrote:
> The proposed fourth kind would be in between min-content and
> fit-content. An example probably explains it best. Consider a
> containing block of this width:

> 3) fit-content:
>     <------------------------->
>     A paragraph of text that
>     doesn't fit on one line.
>     <------------------------->
>
> 4) fit and then shrink more:
>     <------------------------->
>     A paragraph of text that
>     doesn't fit on one line.

Gecko used to implement a concept like this, but we stopped doing so
when I reorganized the way we do intrinsic width calculation, and it
would now be rather hard to do.

I think IE7 and old Gecko (before Gecko 1.9 / Firefox 3) browsers
exhibit this behavior for some examples of table layout, but other
browsers (Gecko since 1.9 / Firefox 3, WebKit, Opera) do not.  I'm
not sure about IE8.

-David