Re: Attempt at summary of run-in

Bert Bos wrote:
> 3) What is the containing block of the run-in and its children?
..
> STATUS: There seems to be no preferred solution yet: follow the document
> tree, the same way property inheritance works; or follow the visual,
> the same way line box construction works.
>
> It seems IE does the latter currently and Gecko could do it easily. No
> other data is available yet about ease of implementation or users'
> expectations.

That's not quite right.  IE does the former, as far as I can tell.
Webkit and Opera do the latter, as far as I can tell.  The latter would
be much simpler in Gecko.

> 4) I said above that 10.1 defines a behavior, but Boris thinks it is
> actually ambiguous.
> SUGGESTED ACTION: Decide if we want to review the occurrences
> of "ancestor box" and similar terms and suggest rewrites.

I should note that as I mentioned at the time the anonymous table object
case is particularly underdefined here.

> 5) What properties apply to a run-in that is also a ':first-line'?

This was a more general question: what does a run-in inherit from?
There seems to be broad agreement amongst IE/Opera/Webkit that in the
absence of first-line it should be the parent of the block it runs into.
  I'd support that being specified; if that happens then the question
that remains is what to do for first-line, as Bert says.

I'm hoping the non-first-line case is uncontroversial, of course.... ;)

-Boris